Wednesday, March 25, 2009

If you missed it...you missed out

Photo by Julie Koehn/The Daily Iowan

I was fortunate enough to have front row tickets to the Metcalf-Caldwell "push". I stood on the floor, my elbows propped up on the stage. Click. Click. Click.
Clearly, Darrion Caldwell was dominating during the 149 championship round at Scottrade Center in St. Louis for the NCAA Wrestling Championships this past Saturday. I'm not sure what was going on with the Hawkeyes solo possible champion...but Brent Metcalf was not his usual self. And at a time when he's usually the one ripping on the underdog, he was being destroyed. And fatigue was written all over his face.

Caldwell is the most unclassy winner I've ever seen. I'm all about jubilation at the end of a match. As a photographer, I only hope for the jubilant shot and often find myself irritated when wrestlers show no emotion after a win. Caldwell, however, was demonstrating an unnecessary celebration, which started too early.

In case you missed it, with seconds remaining on the clock Caldwell took off from Metcalf and performed a roundoff back tuck- an impressive move by a cheerleader. Metcalf, the animal who he is, took off after him - clearly hoping for a final takedown and any chance to gain a sudden victory over the cocky North Carolina State grappler. As Caldwell transitions from roundoff to his back tuck - Metcalf reaches him and his hands are placed on Caldwell - just enough to discombobulate Caldwell's form, and send him to the ground.

Boos filled the arena, as I stared through my lens, wondering if what I had just seen was real. I shook my head and looked at the score...sure enough - our champion had lost.

People say Metcalf is at fault for going after the tumbler. Do you blame him though? He appeared to be legit going for a takedown when there was still time on the clock. But it was only seconds - which made it questionable. Had I been up there wrestling, I woulda ran after him for not only a takedown...but probably a punch in the face. Metcalf turned from him after the "push". He proceeded to shake his hand, without a word. And then jogged off the stage in defeat.


Moments later it was announced that one point would be deducted from Iowa's team score because of Metcalf's unsportsmanlike conduct. Unsportsmanlike conduct?? He was merely going for a final takedown at the end of the match. It's not his fault Caldwell was taking the roll of a cheerleader. A cheerleader for himself.

In case you missed it:



Metcalf Loses But Iowa Wins...

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad he apologized on Thursday, even though I adamantly refuse to acknowledge that Metcalf did anything wrong. Caldwell deserved to be dumped on his @$$ after his celebratory shinangigans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm standing my staightment that said he was just going for a last second takedown...if Caldwell had been on his feet...there would have been nothing wrong with what he did. And it's not Metcalf's fault Caldwell was clownin around.

    ReplyDelete